I'd seen him go in and out of that door several times and in vain I kept wondering what he was doing. Everyday I saw it and as the days went by, my curiousity kept increasing and now I had this enormous urge in me to find out what lay behind that door. Something was indeed very fishy! But what was that?
To my surprise, the next morning, he asked me to accompany him behind that door- that very door that'd kept me wondering all these days, ever since I'd come here. I was a little apprehensive but my curiousity had no bounds. I grabed this opportunity and ran behind him. I kept one foot in, looked up and I was amazed at what lay in front of me.
They were so inviting, I was truly speechless. Round red faces smiled at me, danced in front of me holding hands and spoke to me. Yes, indeed, what we call tomatoes, here in front of me came alive, I saw them live their life. Nothing has ever been so plesant before. I stared at them in awe, wonderment and many other mixed feelings that jammed in me.
I shifted my glare towards him and had the best possible questioning expression on my face. I was so sure he knew the million questions in my mind, then why was he so quiet, why didn't he say anything? I was about to open my mouth and begin uttering my words when he smiled reassuringly. His smile said it all, that none of my questions would go unanswered.
We began talking and I was touched by every single word he spoke. His journey with the bubbly red ones had begun six months ago. All the usual humanly things (work, family, health and other stressors) had taken a toll on him. It was then that he didn't know who to look onto, who to share his feelings with and with such a preoccupation he tumbled across an old bath tub. This useless piece of ceramic, gave him an idea, rather a fabulous idea!
He decided to grow TOMATOES in it, but he never picturized or realized that this idea would create such a beautiful bond. So the next day, he went and bought the seeds, soil and other neccessary things and sowed them in the white, old, shabby looking tub, which now looks fantastic! Days went by and he took care of them like his own children, watered them and nourished them with his love. With tenderness, care and concern they grew and no longer were they seeds; small reds balls appeared at different places in the tub. He saw them, they danced in front of him holding each others' hands among the green leaves. The joy he felt at that moment was incomparable to anything else. He spoke to them and they at times apart from always listening did seem to reply.
He would've loved to do anything for them, as now they were a big part of his life. They grew, even more red, even more jumpy and bubblier than before.
He smiled all along, when he was narrating this to me and said- " I've learnt to share my life with them, I no longer feel lonely. They are a source of my inspiration whenever I'm lost, my source of happiness when I'm low and indeed my true companions."
I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I was so touched at how a man ( whose other sorrow side was seen by me) had now changed , was so happy and was living his life to the fullest because of those cute little creatures.
I turned around, looked a them and smiled. I thanked them for being there for this man and having given him so much happiness.
I now know what he did behind the door everyday- played with his little friends and cherished his life!
This one's unusual. I like the idea of commitment that comes with the tomato plants and I'm not able to see where this idea came from though. I likey :)
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to write this for long, it was like a dream, finally I succeeded:-)!! Very close to my heart!
ReplyDeleteCho Cute:)! Your creative side at its best!
ReplyDeleteVasu
I also love thins one, you're right my creative side at its best, with a mix of reality too.
ReplyDelete